At Allegheny Shotokan we pride ourselves in training both open and traditional karate. We are excited to hear the news that tTraditional Karate Kumite is making a strong bid for the 2020 Olympics. Bookmakers are publishing the first rankings of IOC shortlisted sports seeking inclusion in the 2020 Olympic Games program. According to these lists, Karate is the leading bid far before squash and baseball.
Breaking news… Karate is the odds-on favorite to make the 2020 Olympics!
Karate officials claim that there is now more than 50 million participants worldwide who practice the sport.
- KARATE IS A POPULAR COMBAT SPORT – Leader among sports federations and practitioners. Leader in broadcasting and media communication. When combat sport is mentioned, KARATE immediately jumps to mind.
- KARATE BUILDS SOCIAL INTEGRATION – Lifelong practice of humility, mutual respect, rejection of violence, physical health and emotional control ensures that KARATE practitioners become good role models and ethical citizens.
- KARATE IS FOR ALL – Karate is integrative, practiced worldwide in all cultures and nations. Disability is not an obstacle and a specific body type is not required.
- Social Integration – One of the key elements that defines Karate is respect for others. Practitioners consider themselves equal whatever their social or economisc background, culture, language or gender may be.
- Fairness and Humility – Karate practitioners are noble; not only do they learn to see the sport as a competition, they also consider it a lifelong practice in wich all are equal and help each other attain their goals.
- Physical and Mental Balance – Karate practice teaches control of agressiveness and violence, overcoming shyness and improving confidence. Psychomotor capacity is improved through coordination of movement, synchronisation and reflexes.
- Rejection of violence – Practising Karate implies learning to control one’s strength. This sport penalises contact. Violence is not part of Karate.
- Overcoming Difficulties – Karate provides the will to overcome and to respect others. Practising Karate strengthens the spirit wich prepares people to deal with obstacles and difficulties in everyday life.